Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Hummus!

I've never been a huge Hummus fan, as the texture was always something I couldn't get past... Something about spooning mud onto a cracker and then eating that muddy cracker didn't ever appeal to me. That is, until I had the artichoke hummus @ Ziziki's in Dallas. This, is something I can get on board with. It's light, lemony, not gritty at all, yet they claim there are indeed garbanzo's in it. Who am I to question them? I'm only interested in repeating (or at least approximating) their recipe at home. Below is an admittedly more beanie knockoff, but it's pretty damn tasty...

Artichoke Kalamata Hummus
1 Can Garbanzo Beans (I've found that Bush's are indeed the Best)
1 Lemon
2/3 Cup Marinated Artichoke Hearts
1/2 tsp Cumin
1/4 tsp Smoked Paprika
1/2 tsp Pepper
1&1/2 Tbsp Roasted Garlic (roasted garlic in olive oil -- probably equal to 3 cloves)
2 Tbsp Kalamata Olive spread (available in your grocer's olive bar)
Olive oil and salt to taste

Zest and juice your lemon into the bowl of your food processor. Add the rest of your ingredients and pulse to your desired texture. If your hummus is too dry, add a little olive oil. Salt to taste, and serve. I like mine with pita bread.
--Brad

No comments: