Saturday, November 15, 2008

Some wine

After so much food, who can forgo a little wine? I give you a wine review in the absence of a review of Bistro D'Oc, where we hit up a pre-theater menu (the [cheap] way to grub here -- for me: pate, poached salmon with hollandaise on mashed sweet potatoes rife with cumin, and cream puffs + a free glass of [what I have determined to be] Franzia Burgundy -- $21.95).

But, on to the promised fare: a wine review. Tonight allowed us consumption of 2 bottles. Both were from the Whole Foods 20% off on a case of wine sale that just happened. The first bottle tonight was from a part of the Monterey County AVA that I only thought was new to me, Arroyo Seco. You will find the 2005 Jekel Vinyards Cabernet Sauvignon we had tonight described here. It was, indeed, quite tasty. To the review found there, I would add that this wine was incredibly drinkable and with a mild flavor of jalapeno jelly.

The second bottle was the 2007 Cline Zinfandel, which, I will be honest, I thought would be way too young to be anywhere near desirable. I was wrong; it was tasty as hell. While it is very light at the rim, which did not help my initial judgment of the wine, the body is full and with a hefty tobacco/clove punch. This punch is followed by a nice vanilla (from the oak), cherry flavor and a medium finish. This wine, in other words, is what you want.

So far, the Whole Foods / Cory-is-buying-anything-under-$12 sale rocks. Tomorrow very well may lead to another case, so stay tuned!

Robot out! Beef should be back from the cruise any day now -- reviews, it will be certain, await!

No comments: