Wednesday, February 4, 2009

First Chinese BBQ -- a review

I think we've established that I'm a big fan of all food. And, occasionally, I get on kicks where I'll crave a certain food, or genre of food for days or weeks on end. Lately that has been all things Chinese/Asian. So, I began doing research on Chinese cuisine close to my abode. Something a little better and more authentic than the take out places around the corner though.

It's well known that there is a mini-Chinatown in Dallas. Richardson, actually. Well, maybe it's not that well known, but, I knew about it, and have tried a couple of restaurants in the area and liked them. Jeng Chi is one of the few places to get Xiao Long Bao in the Dallas area. This place is great. And super cheap too. Check it out next time you're in the mood for soup dumplings, and your happen to be in Richardson near Greenville and Beltline. Most all of the Asian restaurants in that area have been given rave reviews by the folks over at Chowhound.

So, yeah, there's great Chinese in Richardson. But, Richardson isn't exactly close to the house, so I consulted the good folks at guidelive and chowhound for a recommendation. Enter First Chinese BBQ in Carrollton. Not the fanciest place, with its Beltline/Josey strip mall location, but from what I gather, super tasty food.

Joy and I went Monday night for some good Chinese-American foods. Yes. That's all I have to say. We split an order of Hot and Sour soup with pork, and an order of BBQ Pork with soft noodles. The hot and sour soup was some of the best I've ever had, but, more importantly, the pork within said soup was super tender, not the least bit chewy. The BBQ Pork was just right. Bright red and crispy on the outside edges, succulent and tender on the inside. Trust that I'll be figuring out how to make this stuff in the not to distant future. Oh yeah, and the whole meal (which, if I weren't such a glutton, would have made at least a lunch for one of us as well as the dinner) was $14.

We'll be going back to this place in the future, to try more of the incredibly extensive menu options. For those more adventurous types, they do include such options as "Duck Feet in Black Bean Sauce". While I can't guarantee that I'll be trying that one, I'm sure that you'll hear more about the place in the future.

First Chinese BBQ

--Brad


No comments: